Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Destination Style

As a decorator and a Psychology major, I pride myself in figuring people out. The biggest compliment I get from a client is this is so me! I love for the rooms I design to reflect the people that actually live in them and not just create a pretty room. So how do I do it? Well it's simple. I ask the right questions! The one question I ask that really helps me determine a design direction is, "Where is your favorite vacation spot?". Believe it or not this one question tell me a lot! Does the person like beach or carribean vacations or hiking in the mountains or a trip to Italy. What ever it is, it tells me how you want your room to feel. But lets get one thing straight, don't get too literal! I am going to give you some fun style tips for whatever destination you choose.
Destination: Beach!
HGTV Home for Sherwin Williams Coastal Hues



Creating Home client's family room: Classic, with a hint of tropical.
Elements of beach style: Colors Inspiration: Sand and water hues like aquas, teals, blues and greens.  Use natural textures, like rattan, jute, and linen. Keep the feeling light, airy, and casual. A white slip covered sofa with a mix of watery blue and green pillows anchored with a sisal or jute rug, work great for this style. Soft breezy curtains in linen or just sheer would finish off the look! For this room I wanted a hint of a tropical feel, but kept it classic, so it doesn't scream tropics!


 
Destination: The Great Outdoors!
If this is your scene, then I have a style for you!
  
NATURE CHIC!
I love this style! It's warm and cozy and pulls colors directly from your backyard. Color Inspiration: leaves (especially in the fall), trees, branches, moss. My favorite color combo is browns and yellow/ greens and punch in a bit of orange to keep it fresh! The key elements of this style are natural textures, mixed with warm and cozy fabrics, and keep it clean and simple. A nature inspired rug would be a great place to start, then pull your palette right from there. Picture a leather chair with an ottoman by the fire draped with a cozy chenille blanket. I can feel the warmth already!

Destination: European Vacation
Deeply routed in tradition this style has staying power! BHG.com

This style is uber traditional and timeless! Think of the lines and details of the European architecture. Color Inspiration: European countryside: Soft olives and blues mixed with warm golds and browns. And what about red? That will keep it alive!. Add in some rustic touches like old shutters and mix in some antique nesting tables to keep the style from becoming too stuffy. I love the artistic treatment on the wall behind the sofa. It gives the room whimsy and interest. I like the way the pillows don't match and the trims are all kept simple. This way it feels more updated and not grandma - no offense Mimi!

So if you don't know your design style. Just close your eyes and picture yourself in your favorite vacation spot. Then pull those elements into your space to achieve destination happiness!

1 comment:

  1. I couild easy live a happy life in any one of these rooms (even more so to go to any of the vacation destinations)...I have always been pretty traditional, but I must say that Beach room is calling out my name! :) Thanks for all of the inspiration! (Angelina)

    ReplyDelete