Saturday, August 13, 2011

Stylish Storage!

Functionally Chic Storage Solutions
You know you have it! That's right clutter! Everyone has it and doesn't usually know what to do with it. I was focusing on kids spaces this week, so to me this was the perfect topic. Because if you have kids, you have clutter! As a decorator, I am always looking for that functionally chic solution to hide the everyday stuff we all have. So I am going to give you some of my tricks for hiding the stuff we don't want to see! In this family room pictured above from Betterhomesandgardens.com, I love the use of the entertainment center for additional storage. Here are 3 ways to sneak storage into your family room:
1. Pick the right furniture. A simple console table can act as additional storage, if you buy one with shelves or cabinets underneath. I even use a chest of drawers in my family room as a table and the drawers are used for games and movies!

2. Use baskets or decorative boxes under your coffee table to hold newspapers, magazines, and the remotes. They can also be used to hold a few toys for easy access and clean up.

3. Storage ottomans rock! They are the most versatile pieces in a room. Put the clutter inside, flip the top for an extra small table, extra seating in a pinch, and of course, put up your feet!


Dish buckets make great storage for boys!

For kids rooms I like to use baskets and bins, but I wanted to share another budget friendly option. In my 5 year old's room I had 8 cubbies to fill and wicker and a boy just wasn't a good combo, so baskets were out of the question.  The canvas boxes were $7 a piece and I needed 8, that's $56! On a tight budget that wasn't going to work. So, as I wondered down isle after isle of storage bins, I came across these. They are dish buckets! Best of all they are plastic and portable and $1.99 a piece. They are also indestructible and came in a variety of colors. Sold!





Let's visit the softer side for the girls in our lives. Aside from the obvious storage, I like using multifunctional pieces. For our little social butterflies, a storage ottoman (can you tell I love them) works double duty. It's extra sitting if when the friends come to hang and storage for the things she may not want them to see! Hello froggie!

One last little bit of advice. For an unconventional way to add storage use pegboard! I have fallen in love with all the cool gadgets you can get to use on it. Although, it's usually meant for the garage, with a little spray paint you can make a stylish and functional storage wall! Now that's functionally chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment