Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Re-design a room with little or no money at all!

Is your guest room or bedroom needing some design love? Think you don't have the $ to give it an update? Well, I will show you two rooms I did for less than $200, yes for both! These before and after transformations will amaze you!

This was my neighbor's guest room 3 days before her parents were arriving for a visit! Yikes!  The challenge was she didn't think she could do anything because she only had a $200 dollars to work with. Creating Home to the rescue!
Working with an empty space is always the best way to start.
Believe it or not my inspiration came from the quilt from Better Homes and Gardens I spotted at Walmart! Yes that's right Walmart! I thought it had beautiful colors and a bohemian global feel and besides it was $20! Cha Ching! She didn't have a headboard, so I had to create a focal point above the bed using pillows and art. 


Now the room feels finished and inviting! Ready for guests!
I found these frames $10 a piece at Big Lots and I filled them with decorative paper that coordinated with the bedding. You can find this paper in your scrap booking section of your craft stores. I used inexpensive window treatments in a neutral tone from Walmart, as well. I anchored the bed with a wooden side table covered with fabric and lamps and accessories from Kirklands.

If you lean your pillow against the wall no one will even guess there's not a headboard!

Make cute and inexpensive accent pillows using this cool "no Sew" trick. Using a couple pillow cases that I picked up for $7.00. I filled the case with an "18 pillows and folded over the edge to create an envelope.  I then cut the excess fabric and folded and glued a clean edge with a glue gun. I added these buttons for a decorative touch. Easy Peasy!

This next room is my guest room a couple of weeks after we had moved in to our new home. I was broke and had to get creative.

I had nothing except a bed frame and mismatch side tables!

Luckily, I had this georgeous bedding a friend had brought me from Africa embroidered with the Ethiopian cross. I used another designer trick and "shopped my home" to pull this global inspired look together. I looked for anything that had that ethnic feel. Like things with natural textures and wood tones.
I felt like, if anything, it at least felt more warm and welcoming than before.
 I framed beautiful coffee bags from Guatemala and hung them above the bed to create a focal point. I used dark wood frames to add depth to the room and coordinate with the antique armoir and the dark embroidery in the bedding. 
Again leaning the pillow on the wall and art add the illusion of a headboard.




So what have we learned today? We don't have to wait until we have lots of money to redo our empty ugly rooms! We can shop wisely and "shop our home" to come up with a beautiful design that will get us through until we have the money to go crazy. It may take several years for that. No one needs to live with ugly for that long! So go forth and conquer those empty ugly rooms! No excuses! Let me know if you need my help with ideas or have any questions. As an SH Creating Home blog follower you can get free design advice, so be sure to join my site and ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment