Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Refresh a room with colors for spring!

This room from "Style at Home" magazine is spring inspiration!

I loooved this room the minute I saw it and I thought it would be fun to "Build-a-Room" on a budget based on this gorgeous room.  I had fun searching high and low for accessible products that would give you the same look and feel as the room in the picture. 

Here's what I came up with!

Lets say we are starting with a basic neutral room. I know I tell you this all the time, but the foundation of every room should be neutral... no bright green or floral sofas! This allows you to add in colors you love, when you love them! Then anchor the room with a beautiful natural seagrass or jute rug for texture.  

Then start poppin' in the color! Start at Target for some cool lamps and this tray...not a huge investment, so you can justify changing them out when you are ready.





Next, I love adding in colorful accent furniture like the aqua chest of drawers in the picture, they most likely painted  it themselves - search thrift stores and flea markets for an inexpensive one to paint.

Try this deep Aqua Blue from Sherwin Williams:


Nothing changes the feel of a room like adding throw pillows...they are a designers best friend! I love these pillows from Target and Pier 1 ranging from $20 to $25. The yellow one in the middle is $68 from ATG.com. 


Finally, I think adding in pattern and color on your accent chairs is a great way to keep your room from being to predictable and it helps reinforce your color story. Again, Target is the place to go for this awesome slipper chair. Two flanking a fireplace or completing your conversation area are perfect!


I love natural rustic wood coffee table in the picture and I found this one on the Ballard Designs site for $349. Awwwsooome!

There you have it!  I just recreated the look of that beautiful room with everything you need to get the look for a little over $1000!

A lot of people look at a room and don't know where to start. Let this room inspire you and now I have given you the tools to recreate the look! You have every thing you need right here! So all I can say is go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment