Wednesday, July 6, 2011

High Americana Style, Low Cost

Modern Americana!
Red white and blue is popping up in design everywhere you look! I love the idea of using this color palette in our homes. For a while,  Americana was considered to be a primarily country look, but not anymore! How awesome does it look in this modern living room featured in Style at Home magazine. Now, in true Creating Home fashion, let's take it down to a real life design and see how we might incorporate this style affordably in our homes.

I always start with a neutral palette. I say it now and I will continue to say it over again, keep the foundation of your room neutral! If you do this, you can have fun over the years bringing in pops of style and color to keep it versatile! I can't tell you how far my natural wheat colored sofa has brought me over the past 10 years and I tend to change my color story a lot, occupational hazard! Okay, now that I am off my soap box, lets pull in some fun red, white, and blue accents! I found this great source for stylish home decor and I LOVED the prices! http://www.bouclair.com/. Bouclair Home has lots of accessories in an array of patriotic colors and at those price points you can afford have fun!
Lamps range between $40 and $50, Pillows around $30 to $50
Just remember if you want to make a color statement in the room, I always use the triangle rule. Pop the color at least 3 times and in a in 3 different spots around the room where the eye would rest naturally. So add pillows to your sofa, then add lamps on either side and pop in a colorful accessory on the coffee table or mantel across from the sofa. Now you have a triangle of color and the color makes sense in the room. Another way to add a pop of red is to simply go to the florist area of your local grocery store and by a bouquet of red flowers, like the picture above. I like to use carnations for this because they are inexpensive and I buy a bulk. then arrange in a simple short glass vase for a high end floral look.

So, whether you choose to go red, white, and blue for your summer decor or not, just remember to have fun with decor in your home! I think we need to make our home our "happy place" and the best way to do that is to pull in the pieces you love. So go and create your happy home!

No comments:

Post a Comment