Saturday, January 7, 2012

Design Rules! The Bedroom


I think of design as more than just adding color and accessories to a room. It's about also setting the right foundation for the room to make it more functional and ultimately more livable!  You ask me all the time why your rooms don't work. They just don't have the right design foundation! So let's get down to the basics of good design!

With my new blog "Design Rules!", I will give you the right formula for every room to create harmony, rhythm, and balance - the basic essentials of every room!

This room works and has that designer look because of symmetry
The balance of colors and scale in the room give it that well designed look. 
  You would not believe how many bedrooms I walk into and I don't see side tables with lamps! Then you say to me, "It doesn't feel right!". Well, that's why!  You have to anchor the bed, by flanking it!
 
So if you fall into this category here's the design rules to follow:
  1.  Create symmetry with bedside tables on either side of the bed it makes the room feel more balanced and anchors the bed. (Make sure the scale, which is designer speak for size, of the furniture works with the size of the bed.)
  2.  Add lamps to the table for a softer ambiance. Nothing spoils the mood of a room more than over head lighting!
  3. The next most important thing is the bedding. This should be where you get your color inspiration for the room. I like to keep bedding simple and serene and layer texture and pattern with pillows and a throw. 
  4. If you have the luxury of having windows on either side, it's yet another opportunity to add  balance and drama! Just make sure you ALWAYS hang draperies floor to ceiling! Mounting the hardware at this height give you that designer look!  
  5. Art above the bed is the finishing touch to balance the room. Choose art that compliments the colors in the room and you will have achieved that harmonious well designed look! 
Rule Breaker - Your side tables don't have to match exactly. Just keep them in the same scale and color family and you'll be fine!

I am working on building my blog followers, so many of you are fans of my fb page, thank you!  I would love for you to follow my blog, as well. You'll get more in depth information on how to create your best home in 2012! You don't want to miss anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment