Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three Rules For Buying a Sofa

My real-life Sofa, she turned 10 this year!


I think the biggest and scariest decision to make when you are doing your living rooms is the SOFA! We've all been there lost in the furniture store with a sea of sofas, knowing we have to pick just one! Ten years ago I was doing the same thing and I have to say I made a good choice. I will be purchasing a new one soon, but I have never regretted buying her and here's why. I followed these 3 simple design rules:

1. Keep it Classic!
Make sure the lines of the sofa can stand the test of time. Not too modern and not too traditional. My English rolled arm with nail head trim has been around for ever and will never go out of style, it's a classic!

2. Keep it Neutral! I always say you change the pillows to suit your taste, but you can't change the upholstery on the sofa with out dropping some cash! If you keep your big ticket upholstery neutral, it will be as versatile as your favorite pair of jeans!

3. Quality Matters! This is a long term investment for a lot of you! I always say save and spend a little more to make sure you get a piece that can stand the test of time - and the kids and pets! Pick a high traffic grade fabric and a well built kiln-dried hardwood frame and it will!

It really is this simple!  I can vouch for the fact that my sofa has been with me through 4 moves, 2 kids, 3 pets and several style and color phases. I will be sad to see her go, but trust me, I will follow these same rules with the next one and hope to get a century out of her, too! Hope this helps you in your next sofa purchase!

This will hopefully be my next sofa. She's a classic, clean-lined beauty by Kinkaid.

The Alston Sofa by Kinkaid

No comments:

Post a Comment